Price: $1384.00 Add to cart
The Screen Reader for PDAs
Dolphin Pocket Hal is a powerful screen reading solution available for a wide range of handheld devices, which are based on the Windows mobile family of operating systems. Dolphin Pocket Hal enables blind and low vision individuals to work, learn, communicate and be entertained using the same portable feature rich technology used by fully sighted colleagues, relatives and friends,
The flexibility of modern mainstream mobile technology is enabling millions of people around the globe to remain productive and connected while on the move every day. This technology has been unusable by people who experience blindness or low vision until now!
What is Pocket Hal?
If you're regularly on the move and need to stay connected, the technology is already here in a portable format (a PDA) and Dolphin Pocket Hal can make it accessible.
What is a Personal Digital Assistant (PDA)?
A PDA is a small hand held computer that runs a Windows Mobile Operating System. PDAs provide many of the capabilities of a standard desktop PC but in a portable and lightweight package.
What does a PDA do?
Like a PC a PDA allows you to use a wide range of applications. Windows mobile includes Internet Explorer, Outlook, Messenger, Media Player, Word and Excel allowing to take notes, create documents and stay connected.
How is a PDA made accessible?
Like a PC the standard software resides in the PDA, but to access it you will need to add some accessories, such as a wireless keyboard and ear phones, possibly a portable Braille device and of course Dolphin Pocket Hal to make it talk. Pocket Hal supports input and output via a range of compatible Braille display devices.
Why would you choose a PDA over a desk top or mobile phone?
Mobility, a PDA will allow you to work on the move. PDAs also offer internet to go. Although mobile phones offer this, the reality is with a PDA that is Wi-Fi enabled you can surf at speeds that are 20 times faster than a normal GSM phone. These days you don't have to travel too far to find a Wi-Fi, find your nearest "hotspot".
Why would you choose an accessible PDA ahead of a proprietary Braille note taker?
An accessible PDA is the future and it's future proof. Microsoft have a major stake in this market and all the big electronic hardware companies such as Hewlett Packard, Dell and Samsung are heavily invested; it is the next generation and it's here.
Who uses Pocket Hal?
Anyone who wants to work on the move and stay connected cheaply. People at work or college; people who travel regularly will all benefit from the latest PDA technology.
Is Pocket Hal Easy to Use?
Pocket Hal has been designed to be straight forward to use, and is supplied with comprehensive help information. Pocket Hal offers users maximum choice of hardware and software support and also allows users to select their preferred hotkeys, so there is no need to learn a new set of keyboard short cuts with Pocket Hal.
Pocket Hal provides access to all the following PDA features: -
- Manage Contacts, appointments and tasks.
- Check and send emails on the move.
- Create, read and edit Word documents.
- Make and retrieve voice notes.
- Create, read and edit Excel spreadsheets.
- Make and receive telephone calls and well as read and write SMS text messages on a PDA phone.
- Communicate with friends, family and colleagues with instant messaging.
- Wirelessly connect to the Internet using a hotspot or cellular network.
- Browse web pages using Pocket Internet Explorer.
- Listen to audio books, music, podcasts or internet radio with various media players.
- Download and use a wide range of third party software.
Key Benefits: -
- Full screen reading tools for a PDA device, enabling you to work on the move.
- Supports input and output via a range of compatible Braille display devices.
- A single license covers you the user, and not just one PDA, so you don’t have to buy a new license of Pocket Hal, just because you’ve bought a new Pocket PC.
- Based on the successful Hal screen reader so you can rely on proven technology from the experts.
- Use the PDA buttons to quickly review your emails, calendar, contacts and other applications.
- Coupled with a Braille display or wireless keyboard and bluetooth headset you can work on your PDA without even taking it out of your pocket - very secure and discreet when working in public areas.
- Works on a wide range of off-the-shelf handheld devices so you can choose a mainstream PDA that suits you or is best value for money rather than being tied to specialist hardware.
- A future-proof solution that gives you the flexibility to upgrade software or hardware independently, without the need to buy a whole new package.
- Offers total productivity for note-taking, diaries, tasks, emails, etc.
- Does not alter the PDA configuration so it can still be used with a stylus as normal even with Pocket Hal running which is useful for shared devices.
- Pocket Hal works straight from the box with more applications than any other mobile access solution.
- Easily adaptable to work with non standard applications.
- Intuitive and easy to use - simple tutorial wizard.
- Use of PDAs allows easy file transfer between a range of mainstream devices.